Friday, May 20, 2011

sa voleka ni oti

One month left, oi.

I have exciting news, which is that apparently I am smart at wearing skirts. My PC bosses came to visit, and one of the main things the older men from the village told them was that they were very impressed by my long skirts, and that I am setting a great example for the young girls with my modesty. Clearly this will be my legacy, the tall girl who was really good at wearing skirts. Who needs to run workshops or paint murals when you can have the same if not more effect on your community with your fashion. Especially if you are a woman. If you are a man, I would suspect your fashion wouldn't be scrutinized in the least. Oh, to be a woman in Fiji...haha. Maybe funny haha.

The other exciting news is that the paths are all finished, and the village continues to be thrilled with them. They started and finished a project together, as a community, everyone helping in some way. I feel pretty lucky to have been a part of it all, witnessing them come to life and work so hard.

I have my date of arrival in America: June 26. They stagger our group's departure because we have plenty paperwork to complete at the office right before we go -- closing out accounts, taking a language proficiency exam, exit interviews, signing this and that waiver, etc. I happen to be in the first shipment home, which ensures that I'll be in America for the 4th of July. That is going to be amazing. (I think I've become patriotic. But perhaps another story for another time.)

This week new volunteers arrived, to replace those of us on our way out. They are just starting their training, their language learning, their cultural immersion. Wow. Interesting that of the 32 people that were in my group at the start of it all two years ago, only 21 have stayed to the end. Hm.

I watched spinner dolphins last weekend as part of Nan's birthday at Nataleira Eco Lodge. It was perhaps in my top 3 experiences in this country. They took us out in a boat, and many of us climbed onto the roof of the boat to watch them better. I learned dolphins travel in pods. They are so beautiful to watch. It was one of those moments that puts life into perspective, kicks the power out of anxieties and trivial thoughts. It was good timing, because we're all feeling a bit dazed these days at the enormity of the transition ahead, of saying goodbye to Fiji and hello to America. Of leaving a tropical winter and entering a temperate summer. Not to say I have at least 4 countdowns going in various planners and calendars. But still, it's change, and who can think about huge change without even a sliver of worry? I sat next to Catherine, who is such a calm and peaceful person. We both were watching the dolphins, thinking about the last two years, and said to each other, what just happened? What did that 2 years just mean? One day we would know, we'd figure out how Fiji fit into our lives. "I'll call you on that day," Catherine told me. Our eyes staying on the calm, light blue ocean the whole time.

I'm realizing that my life will soon not be very interesting, and this blog will soon fade. Not like it was an incredible blog or anything. But. Hoping that my 1100 pages of journals, of which about 5 pages of material surfaced in this blog, will find their way into some form of book some day, not commercial, just, you know, for fun. We'll see how that goes.


The sunflower just bloomed in front of my house. it is pretty massive, and obstructively joyful. it's hard to look at it and not smile. The first morning it bloomed, tata stood and talked to it for a good while, wishing it good morning, thanking it for the day, for the weather, for everyone's health. ha.

1 comment:

  1. Ohhhh, sweet Lisa in skirts....what a touching blog. We are all so proud of you and happy to have you return to the good ole USA and Land of Enchantment. I think a book is definitely in order and I certainly want a copy. Hope you are able to savor many more special moments in Fiji with your family and friends. I know a whole new and even more exciting world is still waiting for you when you return. Not to worry. With your creativity, sensitivity, intelligence and humor the sky's the limit!! See you next month! Blessings to you and all the wonderful PCV in Fiji, SA and world wide! Take care...D & D

    ReplyDelete